Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Friends of Yesteryear

"Time goes so fast
life asks so much.
No wonder friends
get out of touch.
But in our hearts
deep, true, unseen.
Friendship stays
forever green."

Once upon a time, when my life was full of changes and I was crossing the threshold of my childhood into adulthood my best friend, Debbie, cross-stitched this verse and gave it to me on her wedding day. We both knew that our lives were changing and that we would never be young carefree teenagers again, tears were shed. We had been inseparable for four years and now she was taking on the role of a wife and would become his best friend. I would move on with my life and the phrase "Youth is Fleeting" was flung into my face like a cold glass of water. It happened so fast I could hardly catch my breath.
We went in different directions, but always stayed close and tried to find ways to stay in each others lives. Then, somehow, life "asked so much" we lost contact for a year and a half. Just a week ago I received a phone call that proved true to the words of the above verse that "friendship stays forever green". I had missed her so much and we vowed we would never let time like that pass again without talking.
Our church recently held a general conference in October and as our prophet was speaking, these words he spoke jumped out at me "Send that note to the friend you’ve been neglecting; give your child a hug; give your parents a hug; say “I love you” more; always express your thanks." I immediatly thought of Debbie, I think Debbie was listening too and I'm ashamed to say that she took the initiative before I did to "contact a friend".
So now it's my turn to send the note, and this note is to the many close friends that have made an impact on my life but that I no longer have regular contact with, just to name a few Debbie, Carolyn, Tamee, Ofer, Carrie, Janet. I know many of you read my blog regularly and I want each of you to know how much I love you and how I am a better person having touched shoulders with you here in this life. Thank you all for the laughter, the tears, your strength, your wisdom and your courage. You are all women I admire and cherish. Each of you were brought into my life when the Lord knew I needed your strength and friendship the most. I miss all of you, I miss our "girl time" together, I miss our "family time" together and I miss knowing what's going on in your lives on a daily basis. So I invite you to start a blog so that I can have a glimps into your lives now that distance has come between us. Please, let's reconnect and once again build the never ending bonds of friendship that the Lord has given us. Do not think your life boring and insignificant and that no one would care what was going on in your lives. It's not true, even your every day experiences lift and inspire me....I would devour every word. So please let's keep the bonds of friendship alive.
May God bless everyone of you and I thank him for sending each of you into my life, you are my heros.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

YOU are a talented writer!!! I love how you express yourself and I am blessed that you are one of those women to me. I don't know what life has in store for us, but I absolutely know that whether we get to live close to each other or end up on opposite ends of the world, our hearts will forever be connected. I love you, dear friend.

Laura said...

With the holiday season coming up, my thoughts often turn to past friends that I no longer keep in touch with. I am so glad to have your good example of someone who keeps in touch with those special friends.

I'm also grateful that you and Debbie were able to talk again. I know how much she means to you.

Elder Nate Mountain said...

You made me cry!! (No surprise) That was soooo beautifully written and it came at a time when I've also been thinking of lost friends and wishing to reconnect. Thanks for the push to do so ~Love ya!!

Kim said...

Sis this was truly beautiful. Sometimes we get so caught up in life, and our families that friendship put to the side. You have made me remember a promise made to a dear friend to give her a call and do lunch.

Anonymous said...

After we talked on the phone again and you taught me more about face book, blogging, ect. I went back in and read what you wrote. It made me cry! How blessed my life is to have you in it even if it is so far away. I will always be grateful to Heavenly Father for blessing my life with you. I will not let time pass too long without letting you know that you are a very special deep part of my heart! I love you tons! Dudewa (Debbie)

Anonymous said...

Today was the first time I read this--I feel so out of the techno world. Maybe I can get one of my daughters to help...if you lived closer you could give me a class. Any chance you want to feel the sun of St George? :)
I miss our visits and our children laughing together. I am very blessed to share memories with you. You are truly a friend for life, and that makes me feel that things will always turn out positive. Te Amo mucho!