Wednesday, July 23, 2008

If I Had the Strength of a Pioneer

The following quote is from the book "I Walked to Zion".
The Mormon Trail, from Winter Quarters, Nebraska, to the Great Salt Lake Valley, is more than a thousand miles long. It's hard to imagine walking a thousand miles-especially if one must walk that
far as quickly as possible, before supplies run out and before the snow flies. But between 1847 and 1869, more than seventy thousand Latter-day Saint pioneers made the trek, seeking religious freedom, with most of them walking every step of the way.
Few pioneers rode in the oxen-pulled covered wagons they used. Riding was reserved for the very young, the very old
, and those too sick to take another step. The load had to be kept as light as possible for the patient but weary oxen......Most of the courageous travelers walked to the Salt Lake Valley, arriving with sore, blistered feet. Some didn't make it at all."
The pioneers that crossed the plains paid a high and noble price to help the kingdom of God go forth and came to understand the ultimate joy and meaning of sacrifice.
The pioneer heritage is an important and often very personal part of the Latter Day Saint culture and one that we remember and honor every year (In Utah it is a state holiday celebrated every 24th of July
). Our stake took on the task and has been planning for a year the reenactment of the pioneer trek for our youth. Approximately 160 youth and leaders set out for a three day adventure in honor of our pioneer ancestors.
For three days, there will be no showers, ele
ctronics, beds or modern conveniences, just handcarts, dutch ovens, tents and one change of clothes. They all had to dress as the pioneers did, but they were allowed to wear tennis shoes to help make the trek a little easier, and port a potties will be placed along the trail. Other than that they will be living and eating as the pioneers.
Was my Nathan excited about the trek, not really. It sounded hot, tiring and uneventful, but I'm thinking he'll come back w
ith a different tale to tell. I've heard that these treks help bring a little perspective to their lives and they learn to appreciate their ancestors a little bit better.
To make the trek a little more fun he learned a song I used to sing when I went to girls camp when I was his age. He took on the challenge to get everyone on the trek to sing this silly song as they were walking. If I know Nate, he'll have them all singing it the first day.


"If I had the strength of a pioneer, pioneer,
Into the hills I would climb, I'd climb.

There to remain as a pioneer, pioneer,
Until the day that I die, I die.
Chorus
Ooo, la la ooo la la ooo la
Again

Ooo la la ooo la la la,
Repeat
Ooo la la ooo la la ooo la
Once more

Ooo la la ooo la la la
The end."

So stay tuned, I'm sure I'll have more to blog about by the end of this week and enjoy some of the pictures that our stake has already posted on the internet of the trek.
Some of the handcarts the kids will be pulling.


My handsome dude, Nathan


Nathan and his good friend, Rachel (in blue).

4 comments:

Laura said...

Glad you were able to see the pictures. Happy Pioneer Day!

Heidi said...

Sarah came home sooo tired and happy. She said that it was the hardest thing she has ever done in her life but that she was "the person on the trek that she always wanted to be."

I have heard that the experience wasn't as authentic as was planned with Subway for lunch each day and sleeping at the church last night. But I know the leaders had to alter plans for safety.

I had my own little trek with the two younger McKenna girls and their dog...yes we really roughed it..Lake Lanier Water Park on Tuesday. Tie-Dying on Wednesday, Movies...pool...pizza...yes it was a tough 3 days :)

I know from a little bird..that Sunday's sacrament meeting will be stories from the week. It should be a fun meeting!!!

Kim said...

What a neat experience for Nathan. To bad the weather wasn't better for them. Love the photos!

Colleen said...

About 12 years ago I went on a trek. I went with the worries of what I wouldn't be able to do. I pulled a handcart until I didn't think I could pull anymore. I helped kill, clean and cook a turkey. I came home from that experience a better person, more confident and more appreciative. That is one of my most growing moments in my life. I have since been on another where I cooked for the whole stake. Was that ever a challenge. All my children except Cody has had the opportunity to go on a trek. Though I think they make them way too easy now. But it has been a neat experience for each one of them.