Saturday, March 1, 2008

My Hero

As I was laying in bed this morning waiting for the sun to shine through my window many thoughts passed through my mind and I began to think about heroes, not the kind that Hollywood flashes before us on the big screen, or the athletes in all their glory, or even people that are to be admired for their great contributions to society; I was thinking about the every day common hero that usually doesn't get the recognition that they deserve, the quiet heroes that touch our lives. I'd like to tell you about mine.
To look at my hero on the outside there is nothing unusual or striking, just a simple, down to earth, loving being. My hero has always been there for me when I've needed to talk, cry, share or encourage me when times get tough. I can always count on several good belly laughs when we're together which always revives me and helps me to look on the funny side of life. My hero is giving and I can always count on a gift from the heart that seems to come at the time I need it most. These are not just any gifts either, these are gifts of love, crafted and personal. We share phone calls, memories, personal jokes, laughter, tears, and mostly love. I have watched as my hero has battled very difficult and personal challenges and has had the strength and to overcome, reminding me that in God all things are possible because my hero has taught me that we can't go it alone. Recently, she overcame the biggest challenge of all, that horrible monster called cancer. My dear sister, Kim, you are my hero. How can I ever express to you how watching you go through this trial has blessed me. I have learned by watching you that positive attitude is everything and that the Lord carries us when we can do it alone if we just trust in him. I've learned not to take for granted the important things in life; family, friends, time, health and most importantly our Savior. You have opened my eyes, touched my soul and made me a better person. I just want you to know that each day I thank the Lord for letting me touch shoulders with you and thank you for making me see the roses on the thorn bushes of life.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing you thoughts on this! I love both of you wonderful women!

Kim said...

Sis your so sweet, you made me cry. I have had so much support from you through all of this, you have helped to keep me stong. Was having a bad day today, and low and behold I read your blog, just reminded me I can keep going, with the Lord's help, and my family. I have the strength of so many. You are all my HEROS!
Love you always!